Saturday, May 14, 2011

Silence

I have wanted to read Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring for a long time now and I’m excited that I now have the chance to sit down and read it. For me, I don’t want to read educational books for pleasure during the school year. After a long day of class, homework, textbook reading (my least favorite activity in the world), and studying, the last thing I want to do is wrap my head around complex ideas that are present in books that actually make you think. At that point of day, I either want to sleep or watch something superficial like Project Runway, not contemplate how human decisions affect the evolution of insects and birds.
My time in the Galapagos has changed things for me. Sitting in class, doing labs, and extra reading wasn’t a chore there, it was actually fun. This is something new for me and it excites me that I have actually learned to love learning! Up until this point, I got by because I tried hard in school, but now I am actually passionate about what I am learning and I’m super pumped about it.
My point is that now I want to read books like Silent Spring for fun. And it is fun because I enjoy educating myself about nature/science/current events. Silent Spring isn’t too current, but I think it has a timeless message about our impact on the natural world around us. Another bonus is that it is written by a woman; a very powerful woman who started a huge environmental movement.
As I was reading this morning in the hammock, I put down my book for a couple minutes to enjoy the sunshine and the breeze and I noticed some birds in the trees making a racket. I’m pretty sure it is mating season because there was no excuse for how many weird and annoying sounds these birds were making. It was unacceptable and I was trying to enjoy my day off. I turn to the tree and yell “SHUT UP ALREADY”. Five minutes later I look down at the title of my book at laugh at the irony I cause in my own life. (If you don’t get this joke, look up what Silent Spring is about)
My Lizard Catch Count: 21

5 comments:

  1. I need to read that book. I do know from someone in our family- but I can't remember who- that the reason G.Grandpa Treat became an organic gardener was because of reading that book. The cardinals are mating right outside my window here- at 5:00 in the morning!! But I do appreciate all the birds we get in our yard. So glad you are having such an amazing experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I borrow it after you Hannah?

    ReplyDelete
  3. of course! It's a bit of a slow read, but I should be done with it by the time we are both in Otis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel Carson was also a marine biologist!!

    Silent Spring remains a rather slow read for all of it, and it is rather depressing but a VERY good book. It's amazing to see how far we've come in our understanding of things since it was written, and how far we still have to go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know and it makes me love her even more!

    ReplyDelete