Thursday, May 19, 2011

I've Got Lizards on my Brain (not literally)

I recently had many people show/send me this article. Although highly interesting and good timing, this worries me. Everything I've learned about biology has told me that populations who are cloning themselves should not survive more than a couple generations. Especially now that us humans have a lot of effect on species. If we introduce a chemical into the environment (still have Silent Spring on the brain) it is the genetic differences in a population that make them able to survive, but if there is no genetic diversity, natural selection cannot act upon the species and they go extinct. Species that clone themselves and have a whole population with the same genes has little chance of surviving when humans have such a great impact on them.
In other news, we have made plans to go to Madrid from the 27th of May to the 2nd of June. If anyone has advice of things to do in this wonderful city, it would be much appreciated.
It's been raining for the 3rd day in a row, so I don't have any beautiful island pictures :(
My Lizard Catch Count: 25

No comments:

Post a Comment