Thursday, March 24, 2011

Quick Facts

Hello internet! The internet connection to Isabela has not been functioning for the past 48 hours and was rather inconvenient when I had to sign up and pay a deposit for my housing next year before my spot was given away! Problem avoided and now I am confirmed to be living in the UV next fall. YAY!
Geology class started on Monday and has not lived up to my expectations, but we did go on an awesome field trip yesterday to Sierra Negra and Volcan Chico. We hiked from 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM, covered 10 miles and ate lunch while looking over the largest active caldera on earth. (That's a fact).
Other exciting news- last weekend the moon was super close to earth. The closest it had been in the past 18 years generating a crazy high tide that pushed waves over the pier and into Iguana Bar, washing out the sand floor. :(
It's also been really hot outside lately, but there has also been a nice breeze.
My host dad just got back from a hunting trip and wasn't able to kill anything, so we all are bummed about that. And my family could really use the money right now because the school year is coming up and Maithe just got her supply list.
Did you know it costs $10 for a small tub of ice cream here? We've been dying for milkshakes lately and the one place that sells them hasn't been open whenever we go so we decided to make our own- until we found out the price of the ice cream.
In two weeks I will be in the United States.
We are going to be in Quito the whole day of April 6th and are planning a trip to the equator!!!!! Which I am dying to see although I know I will be disappointed when there is nothing there but a plaque.
My watch is breaking and I really hope it lasts through the Spain trip.
Speaking of which, I submitted my scholarship application and am crossing my fingers.
I think that is it for today's fast facts. Check in soon for some awesome pictures of the volcanoes of Isabela

2 comments:

  1. Wow, the Galapagos trip is really coming to a close, isn't it? Wow, that was fast! Sounds like it's been fun thus far and you still have a couple weeks yet. You're right, the equator isn't very exciting. Novel, perhaps. Exciting, not really.
    I hope the scholarship goes your way. Have a great rest of your time in the tropics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe this leg of your adventure is almost over!! Do you feel different than when you've started? I've learned lots just reading your blog! Can't wait to hear what you think of Espana! Good luck on the scholarship! Btw- hope we get to see you this summer!

    ReplyDelete