Saturday, February 19, 2011

A New Garden

I wrote this a while ago, but I just found that it never published so you can enjoy this while waiting for updated news:
Last week before I left for the overnight trip to Santa Cruz, my host family planted some plants in the backyard. The tree is called a ciruella and produces small fruits about the size of plums. They turn red when they are ripe and they are pretty yummy.
 The grass type thing is used to make tea which is also pretty delicious. It is very sweet.
I don't want to be a Negative Nancy, but I don't see much hope for these plants. These islands are purely volcanic and you can see from the pictures that the backyard is a lava field and not very conducive to growing plants. Oh well. Maythe and I got to play in the lava pit while Lorena and Junior planted and we made a lava rock tower. It's actually a lot easier to make rock towers out of these rocks compared to the ones on the coast of New England because these are much more porous and can easily grip to one another- just like Legos.
Maythe began to dance with the clothing that was drying on the line and we began a game of show off for Hannah's camera. It's one of her favorite games and she is very good at it.
 Dear new tree and plant- I wish the best luck growing on the most harsh environment ever. Happy Valentines Day. Sincerely, Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment